JavaScript
Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral

HomeService Schedule/EventsClergyParish CouncilHow to DonateWeekly BulletinsCommittees/OrganizationsParish PicturesYouth PageChoirAbout UsContact UsMembershipSacraments and NeedsAbout OrthodoxyDriving DirectionsChurch EtiquetteCathedral GalleryArchivesMuseumLinksCathedral Restoration
Cathedral History

The history of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral can be traced back to December 1945, when a group of prominent individuals met at St. Andrew's College to discuss the need for a new parish in Winnipeg's north end. The found meeting took place on April 9th, 1946 and the site was purchased on May 16, 1946.


On September 11, 1949 the site was blessed and construction commenced. the cornerstone was blessed and laid on September 30, 1951 and on June 1952, the basement of the Cathedral was officially opened. Church life was prospering and funds were being collected throughout the country, and building plans were finalized for the Cathedral proper.


The Cathedral was officially opened and consecrated on July 8, 1962 by the Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion (Oheinko). The iconostas was installed in 1974, and the mosaic depicting the Holy Trinity at the front of the Cathedral, facing Main Street was installed for the Millennium of Ukrainian Orthodoxy (1988), and was blessed by Metropolitan Wasyly.

Click here for more details

Mission Statement

The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral strives to be progressive in fostering ideas that will enhance a positive, welcoming atmosphere for all its existing and future member by sustaining Ukrainian Orthodox Faith, Spiritual Education and Cultural Activities.

This mission is in response to the changing needs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Community. As the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, we aspire to lead and encourage others in living the overall mission and vision of our church across Canada.

по-українському

Our Vision

We envision our church as a warm, vibrant, progressive and welcoming community where the needs of all its members (children, youth, adults, families, senior members, English and Ukrainian speaking) are valued and nurtured, on the spiritual journey to embracing God and His teachings.

We will individually and collectively take part in realizing our mission and vision through:

  • Service - To nurture the spiritual needs of the members (faithful) to increased awareness of the Orthodox Faith and Ukrainian Orthodoxy through education and programs.

  • Education - To encourage the members (faithful) to increased awareness of the Orthodox Faith and Ukrainian Orthodoxy through education and programs.

  • Membership - To create a Christ-centered environment that is inviting, supportive, and interactive to allow its members to grow in Orthodox Spirituality

  • Leadership - To promote Orthodox Faith based leadership within the parish membership to fulfill the mission of the church.

  • Communication - To encourage an atmosphere of open communication so all members have input and are aware of the mission and goals of the church.

  • Stewardship - To promote positive Christian Stewardship within the membership to fulfill the mission of the church and achieve the goals of the community.

  Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions Home Back Top